Saturday, April 4, 2009

Can't...Think...Of...Name...

Today we had a big blizzard, well it wasn't really a blizzard (We got only got about 5 inches) But we did have a big power-outage that was off and on and lasted, oh, from about before any of us got up to 5:30 or so. Yeah, it was a looong cold day...
But most of all I realized just how much we depend on electricity. Our stove is electric, as well as our toaster oven, lights, refridgerater, computers, TV ETC.

Description of the day from when I woke up to right now.

Woke up and heard the news about the power-outage.
Mom had prepaired Pop-overs, but then the power went out when she was heating up the oven, we waited pateintly for the power to come back on (and stay on) then finnaly we had deflated Pop-overs (Still tasted great, though!) because the batter had sat for too long, well, it's not like it was our fault.
We ate and went outside to feed/water the chickens, and I didn't wear snowpants because I thought we were just feeding the chickens, alas we went out in the schoolyard and I got my pants soked. *Sigh*
Dad bought a Kerocene heater.
We came back and munched on strawberries and read Warriors, a series by Eren Hunter about wild cats competeing for food and hunting rights (It may sound boring but it's not!)
We cooked some nachos on the grill (They were actualy the best nachos I ever had. Who knew a power-outage, as scary as it may seem, could taste so good?)
We had power flickering on and off through out the day.
Dad was just about to soke the wik of the heater with Kerocene when the power went back on, YAY!!!!
I ran downstairs to tell dad the electricity was back on!!! Luckily he hadn't poured the Kerocene in.
Then Harry ran the computer to play roblox, I ran to the other computer to, what else? Blog!!!!!!!!!! Dad ran to the TV to watch a basketball game and Mom ran to the thermostat.

And that's how the day went.
Phew! I'm glad that all was over.

Now I'll be looking forward to a nice, warm house, warm meals, and all those other nice things like lights and computers and TVs and toaster ovens. And I'll defenetly have a new respect for electricity.

And I think the chickens are happy, too. Because now they have warm water (warm being
not frozen)
And I think all the other animals are happy, sunny and the rats are happy for the heat, and the fish as well, I have no idea how the fish would have survived a night supost to go down to between 15 and 20 degrees. :)

And I just saw a beutyfull morning dove at the birdhouse/feeder. I love colorado weather!

No comments: